Management & Admin - The Grand, York
Contract: Full Time
Located within York’s city walls and with views of York Minster, the hotel holds an enviable and proud position in the city and local community. Once the famed Headquarters of the North-eastern Railway Company, our magnificent building is bursting with original features and all the grandeur of its former life as the “Palace of Business” - making it a truly beautiful and inspiring place to work and grow.
The Grand, York has an opportunity for a talented Human Resources professional to be our next People Manager. This unique opportunity has become available as we grow as a hotel group.
We are proud to be a multi award winning hotel, we hold the Sunday Times Best Employer 2023 accolade, which exemplifies our strong people focus. The role will support the delivery of the People Strategy at hotel level with guidance and support from the Director of People and Culture, North. You will have the day-to-day operational accountability to support our hotel leaders, which will cement our journey to becoming one of the UK’s best places to work.
You will focus on driving engagement and maintaining our strong retention levels, through exemplary onboarding, learning and development initiatives, talent and succession planning and external stakeholder management to maintain our CSR commitment to proactively support our sustainable future workforce needs. You will be the operational driving force behind our strong family culture and values and be an advocate for change. You will support, guide and coach the onsite people team to ensure excellence in the delivery of all people related activities.
• Be an integral part of the leadership team by championing and supporting the delivery of the People strategy to ensure The Grand continues to achieve success in all areas of the business.
• Coaching and developing our leaders to understand and embrace People Management as their most valued resource.
• Ensure full compliance of ATS, Fourth and Flow systems, accountable for the Certificate of Sponsorship process.
• Support and advise operational leaders, on Employment Law and changes to Employment Legislation to ensure compliance.
• Driving the delivery of our five-star People function by supporting our leaders in Talent Acquisition, Talent Development, Employee Relations, and Engagement.
• Working collaboratively with the wider People team to drive and implement People initiatives to add value to our family members.
• Work collaboratively with the wider People team to create innovative ideas to support our SHG EVP. Work at hotel level to drive our five-star EVP.
• Conducting talent reviews and maintaining a robust succession and attraction plans for a sustainable future workforce.
• Accountable for the delivery of the onsite training calendar. To include classroom training delivery including SHG designed initiatives and to enhance for our five-star audience.
• Be a custodian of employee experience and partner with our hotel Leadership team to positively impact engagement and retention rates.
• Reporting on agreed people metrics monthly to the Director of People, North.
• Supporting with pay and manning guide reviews on an annual basis.
• Support our Student Placement and Graduate programme, constantly monitoring to improve the programmes, to gain accredited industry recognition.
• Support in the delivery and coordination of talent acquisition events, attraction initiatives/projects and external talent acquisition partnerships.
• Assist in the delivery and communication of new HR initiatives, policy, and procedures and these are understood at hotel level.
• Support in the effective communication strategy for employees.
• Support our HR Advisor with ER issues.
• Work with the Director of People, North to become a Centre of Excellence.
• Escalate any compliance or ER risk to the Director of People, North.
• Be the People lead to partner with our external stakeholders.
What We Offer
The Grand, York is proud to provide our team with a variety of benefits to enhance and drive engagement. We believe in consistent and tangible reward and recognition initiatives, and we put health and wellbeing firmly at the heart of our employer brand. Joining The Grand, York is not just a career, but a deeply rewarding journey with limitless opportunities to develop and grow.
- Fully funded and supported Apprenticeship programmes up to level 7
- Supervisory and Management development training programmes, Ignite and Inspire.
- Splendid Family discounts across our group - on accommodation, food and drink.
- Enjoy being creative with friends and family with a 50% discount on cookery classes in our Grand Cookery School
- We operate a monthly Grand Family shop, where you can buy bulk items to help with the cost of living.
- Discounted local NCP car parking and discount off local First bus travel.
- Experience our hotel as a guest with a complimentary guest experience for you and a guest within your 90-day probation period
- Monthly pay day treats and an annual ‘Thank You’ week – full of treats and activities.
- We celebrate our diverse workforce with awareness days and diversity lunches.
- Visit York discounts to visit local attractions and experience what our wonderful city has to offer.
- We love to recognise our Grand Family through Grand Star of The Month, Grand Celebrity of The Week, Probation Pass lunch and Long Service recognition dinner. Enjoy our annual Grand Family party, with many other social events throughout the year.
- Company Pension salary sacrifice scheme.
- Access to our Cycle to Work scheme through Green Commute Initiative to support health and wellbeing and our environment.
- Make a difference and join our Grand Goes Green Team, our Grand Plans Team to help organise our social events and raise funds for our nominated charities. There is also opportunity to represent your department in our Grand Family Forum.
- Fully funded and supported ESOL classes (English for Speakers of Other Languages)
- 12 Mental Health First Aiders onsite to provide signposting and initial support.
- Retail Trust Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) to give free, confidential 24-hour support and advice whenever you may need it.
- Employee referral scheme - refer a friend or family member and receive a £350 incentive payment.
- No split shifts, 2 days off together.
- Complimentary light breakfast, lunch, and dinner whilst on shift as well as complimentary tea, coffee and fruit.
The Grand is York’s only five-star hotel, situated in the very heart of the historic city. The property offers a splendid blend of Victorian elegance and modern sophistication and is known worldwide as a beacon of hospitality excellence. We are honoured to have been awarded the ‘Hotel of the Year’ Catey and we are also absolutely delighted to be named in The Sunday Times top 100 ‘Best Places to Work 2023’.
Along with our 207 guest bedrooms, we boast an award-winning rosette restaurant, The Rise, which holds the Conde Naste 2022 award for Best Afternoon Tea. In addition to this, our new fine dining restaurant, Legacy, provides the opportunity to elevate our dining offering and become leaders in the York food scene. We have a state-of-the-art Cookery School, are home to an atmospheric Spa, stunning Meeting and Event spaces and an In-Room Dining offering. Each day is unique and memorable at The Grand and we live to create special memories for our guests and our team.
Our vision is to be the UK’s most loved hotel. We pride ourselves on our values. We place emphasis on driving for results in all areas of the business, excellence in everything we do and genuine care for our Grand family, guests, and the environment.
Role in our Family
Our team are the heart and soul of The Grand, without them The Grand is just a beautiful building. We pride ourselves on the warmth of our Yorkshire welcome that each one of our guests receive. As a Director of Human Resources, key to your role will be: